Saturday, October 30, 2010

Indian T-shirts—Say What?

Young Indian men love their "slogan" T-shirts and I love reading them. These fashion statements are informative, insightful, humorous, and sometimes provocative. However, often they're a confusing collection of words, inexplicable single words, missing words, malapropisms, and incomplete thoughts. They are a source of  great amusement for me. On this trip, some of my favorites include:

õ     "StraightThis was on the back of a bicycle rickshaw driver. He was transporting my friend, who is gay.

õ     "Play BoyThis T is very popular.

õ     "Knock Yourself"  I'm guessing this meant to say "Knock Yourself Out" but I don't really know.

õ     "Wacky"

õ     "Girlfriends are like medicine. They come with expiry dates."  Usually worn by an unattractive man.

õ     "My Sexy T-shirtWorn by a guy with a sexy smile.

õ     "Power Pack"  This was accompanied by an image of a screaming face.

õ     "Bad News in New York"

õ     "King of Air"  Did it mean to say King of THE Air: Of Air waves? King of the sky?

õ     "Jesus Engineered Shirt"  Huh?

*       "Sometimes when I'm alone I google myself"

*       "If you're reading this then you are not sleeping"

õ     "Dear Santa All want for Christmas is a list of all the naughty girls." The reverse side: "Survive"



1 comment:

  1. I think you should import these shirts. Love anything lost in translation.

    ReplyDelete